Monday, May 7, 2018

Pick up my Career ... or Retire

I'm a Realtor but for the last couple of years I really haven't been practicing much.  I took a year off and became a lender - I really hated being a lender ... these people are so under appreciated for all they do and then last year we had medical emergencies that kept me from working ... so basically it's almost like starting over again.  So my dilemma the last couple of months has been do I want to continue with a career in real estate or do I want to retire?  To continue is to almost completely rebuild from scratch like a new agent.  I went to lunch with a friend of mine that's also a Realtor and we had a four hour lunch and discussed this.  I really don't want to retire and I really don't want to give up my career.  So we both made plans, her to boost her career and me to jump start mine back to where it had once been.  So today we met in the office and began step one in our planning.  I've still been doing some real estate here and there but it's been more like part time.  I need to get serious about it so now it's time to get serious again.  

Rachel and Phoenix will be here in a month!  I'm so excited to see them.  I'm trying to get a few things done to the house so there will be new things for them to see when they get here.  I've already got the tickets ordered to Shakespeare in the Park in OKC for when they are here and Rob gets to go with us.  I'm just waiting for them to come in the mail.  We'll go see the Drunkard and the Olio (Phoenix hasn't seen that in quite a while and loved it).  We'll go to the Philbrook and take pictures - that way I can practice with my camera and we get our museum fix while we're at it.  The two of them will go to the Cereal Bar (yes there is one in Tulsa!) because they love that place to have breakfast one morning while they are here ... I'll have coffee and watch them eat the crazy stuff they shove in their mouths.  We'll have to find a few interesting places to eat lunch while they're here because Phoenix is such a foodie these days and I love that side of him.  We'll go to Poteau to visit family one day and find something of interest near there to do while we're in that area.  Fifteen.  He'll turn fifteen while he's here visiting this year.  How does that happen?  Where has all the time gone?  I'm hoping that he and I will have time to do a set of paintings for the middle bedroom.  We both love abstract art so I thought I'd prepare the canvas by painting it black first and getting it ready for us and then we can work it from there.  It will be so much fun to work on it together with him.  Rachel and I are going to make her winter coat.  It's going to be a busy visit but a good one.  

Rob's second rental property closing is scheduled for Friday.  I'm very proud of him.  I need to get things set up for him with a handyman, plumber and electrician to schedule as well and picking out flooring at lumber liquidator for the bedrooms.  Locksmith for the doors.  He wants to have it ready to rent in just a couple of weeks.  A couple of the windows are missing screens so I need to set that up as well.  Get all this scheduled so he can get it going right after closing.  It was pretty clean when we looked at it but we need to have it cleaned and curtains hung and then it's done and ready to show for renting.  I'll take the pictures and we'll get it listed on Zillow.  

So, I should have a busy next couple of weeks.  Really a busy summer and rest of the year.  I have it planned out but as usual I'm sure life will throw me a few curve balls.  I'll just have to make sure I swing wide and knock it out of the ball park.  

No comments:

Post a Comment