Tuesday, February 26, 2019

How Many More Days Until Summer?

I'm trying so hard to be patient but summer can't get here fast enough for me.  I'll take Spring because things at least bloom and the chill starts lessening and I know Summer is around the corner.  All winter I have been cleaning out closets and cabinets, going to classes and practicing my photography.  One of the things I came across was my old recipe box.  Some of my all time favorite recipes were stored in here and it's been years since I've made them so I'll be posting them from time to time to share them with you.  I'm going to start today with my Oriental Chicken Rice Salad.  I started making this before we had children and our oldest is 40!  It's a great summer dish because you eat it cold. It's going to be back on our table again this Spring and Summer!  We all loved it, I don't know why I quit making it.

Oriental Chicken Rice Salad
1 can (13 3/4 oz or 14 1/2 oz) chicken broth
1 cup Uncle Ben's Converted Brand Rice 
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt (or adjust to your taste ... I use a bit less)
1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
2 cups diced cooked chicken
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 green onions with tops, diced
1 jar (2 oz) sliced or diced pimiento, drained

Add enough water to chicken broth to make 2 1/2 cups liquid.  Cook rice in liquid according to package directions.  Transfer to a large bowl.  Combine oil, soy sauce, salt and seeds; mix well.  Stir in hot cooked rice.  Cover and chill.  Stir in remaining ingredients before serving.

Makes 6 main dish servings. 

Hope you enjoy as much as we have!  If you try it, send me a post and let me know.  


No comments:

Post a Comment