Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Something to Think About

I was reading something the other day about your life being recorded in seasons like Spring (child), Summer (teen), Fall (mid-age)  and Winter (elder).  I remember my grandmother comparing it to the times of day like being in the Dawn or Twilight of your life.  When you are in the Dawn of your life, everything is new, you're exploring the world around you.  You have so much energy, impatient for the next adventure.  You flit from one thing to the next after all there is a whole world to experience! But at Twilight as the light fades into darkness everything slows down, you're more relaxed, you're tired and ready for a hot bath and a good meal.  You've enjoyed your day and now it's time for you to wind down and reflect over all the fun you've had.  I'm not quite ready for Twilight yet.  I get those bursts of energy, I get that impatient yearning to reach out and try something new ... something exciting, go somewhere I've never been before, do something I've never done before, see something I've never seen before.  I'm not quite ready to totally settle down and relax and enjoy what has been.  I don't know that I ever will be.  I enjoy every moment of every day, some more than others.  So as I move toward my Twilight years, I drag my feet and hang on to the sunshine for as long as I can.  It's funny really ... I've always hated Winter my whole life and I've always been afraid of the dark.  I wonder if I've always feared getting old?  I do have wonderful memories but I believe that I still have many, many more to collect.

Our grandson will be 16 this summer.  I'm not sure how that happened, time just slipped away from us.  In two more years he'll graduate and go on to college.  That just seems impossible to me.  We, my husband and I, are planning to take him on a tour of Europe for graduation.  I can't imagine a better gift for a young man (or young woman) than a gift of travel.  He loves art, music, all kinds of food, architectural design and he loves us.  I think he'll love spending two weeks with us exploring different countries, their cultures, art and cuisine.  It'll be a memory he can carry with him forever.  It will also be a memory I will get to carry for the rest of my life.  That special time with him.

Gary will be retiring in a little over a year and there are so many places I want us to visit right here in the United States.  Places we have never been to and always wanted to go but never had the time.  Now we'll have the time and we can enjoy each other as well as new things and places.

Yes, Twilight is creeping closer but we'll just keep pushing it away and wring as much out of time as we can before it becomes too late.  Walk in the sunshine, enjoy the light breeze and enjoy life to its fullest.


Me with Phoenix in the background.  He is my heart.  This was taken 9 years ago.


Jacob, Phoenix, Rachel and my darling husband, Gary. This was taken Christmas 2018.



No comments:

Post a Comment