Friday, July 9, 2021

Finishing Up the Colonial, Getting on with Life.

 I think with most of us the Pandemic has effected us in so many ways.  For me, it was a reality of getting older that my life actually has an expiration date and I'm not invincible.   I looked around this house we bought 14 years ago so that I could "get my hands dirty" and renovate it myself and decided that I needed to get it finished and I needed help with it.  So area by area I will be having contractors in to get things finished up.  We have a traditional colonial house with the fireplace at the back left corner instead of the side.  There's a sun room attached to the back with a little outside patio and we have about 2400 square feet.  Four bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. 

That all sounds doable until you actually move in.  We started in our bedroom, the downstairs master.  Here was the problem:  One downstairs bathroom, a full bath that opened to the hallway (for guests) and to the master bedroom and was considered the master bedroom.  I never felt this house had a true master and it wasn't something I was paying attention to when I was looking to buy the day we bought it.  Since that bath was a public bathroom and not a private bath as most masters were, it wasn't a true master.  Well this last year we remedied that.  We cut that bathroom in half and the first half, the sink and toilet became the powder room and opened to the hallway.  The doorway that opened to the master was removed and sealed up.  The tub and shower combo was removed and the floorspace for it was added to the walk-in closet (5 x 5)  of the downstairs bedroom to add a private bath (8.5 x 5) to that bedroom making it a true master suite.  We turned it into a walk-in shower with a bench and two showerheads, a small vanity and a toilet.  It's such a sweet little bathroom and for the first time it's all ours.  We love it.  But then we had to hire someone to come in a build us a closet so we built a walk-in closet (9 x 5) for ourselves.  They built the shell but we're having to build the inside of it.  This has been an interesting venture for both of us.  Gary is definitely a "throw it up and there and get it done" kind of guy with handy work and I'm a "let's plan it out and get every last inch of space we can" kind of girl.  I want it precise and he just wants it done.  Eventually we'll get this done.  Our doors for the closet are on back order as they came in at Lowes once and were all torn up and we refused them.  This next month this whole bathroom/closet project will be one year out.  I think that's long enough.  

Now, we have the electrician working on adding light fixtures for different areas of the house.  Our living room just never seems to be light enough.  He added 5 can lights to the window area yesterday and I have a beautiful light fixture for the dining area that will be added next.  Hopefully we'll be all lit up soon.  We also are having lights added to the closet in our bedroom.  We had several outlets redone and a few switches put in.  Nothing like updating some electricity.  

We are going to have carpet put in our bed room and hardwood floors in the living room/ dining room.  This should happen within the next few months.  

The bathroom upstairs will be updated hopefully before winter.  that should complete the upstairs.  I'm not willing to hand over the reins to a contractor again so I'll contract the work out myself and order the supplies.  I wasn't happy with some of  the choices of the other contractor.  


No comments:

Post a Comment