Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Morning Musings


 I'm sitting here in my sunroom, enjoying my coffee and watching as the day comes to life.  The sky lightens and the birds wake and begin to sing.  Some are flittering back and forth between the trees and the birdfeeder we put in the yard.  The squirrels slowly wake and wander into the yard.  First there was one and little by little others have joined him/her.  Now they are chasing and playing with each other.  I glance over to our small garden area and see how badly it's overgrown. We went to Europe this summer for three weeks so we didn't plant anything in the garden.  The weeds have taken over.  I need to work on that this week.  The birdbath back by the trees has stood empty and dirty all summer.  I haven't taken care of it for the birds or the squirrels, again something I need to do this week.  In the Spring there are daffodils along the back fence and they are so crowded.  Every summer I promise myself I'll take care of that in the fall, well again that's something that needs to be done and I'll try to get after it this week.  I'll add the bulbs for the Naked Ladies as well.  I'll move some of the bulbs to different areas of the yard.  I want to set aside some of the daffodils so that next time I go to Mitch and Val's I can plant them by Val's prayer pavilion.  

We lost Val a few weeks ago from cancer.  She's been fighting for a few years now and it finally became too much.  I'm so sad when I think of her because she was always there for anyone that needed her and yet none of us could do anything to save her.  Such an amazing person.  So full of life, faith and happiness.  I'm going to miss her.  

I lost a long time friend, Joan, about a week before Val.  She too was another that was good.  She saw only the best in people.  She was always laughing and always there for you.  I went to Hartman to tell her goodbye.  I just don't feel we should be old enough to be "old" yet.  

We lost David, a very good friend that has been a part of our lives since the mid 80s.  He and Gary were the best of friends.  Covid decided he was one of the chosen ones.  Do you ever question how God decides who to take?  Those thoughts cross my mind.  

I think I avoid sitting in this room early in the morning where I only have my reflections to concentrate on.  We have lost so many people the last few years and it makes you realize that we all have an expiration date.  Mine is getting closer and that's just scary.  I still have so much that I want to do and see.  Gary and I have not had near enough time together.  

We put a shed that looks like a barn in the backyard about a year ago.  We now have a rabbit living under it.  He/She comes out early mornings and late evenings to eat grass and lay out in the fresh air.  I tried to feed it some carrots but it refused to eat any of them so we threw them over the fence into the wooded area behind the house so that other little woodland animals might enjoy them.  

We are seeing different birds than we've seen in the past at our birdfeeder.  Right now there's a "couple" sitting there eating ... they look like a faded out cardinal family.  I'll have to look them up later.  We are also getting little finches and some wild canaries.  They all sing so beautifully.  

Watching the morning come alive always fills me with something that makes me feel alive, like I can breathe deeper than I was.  It feels me with emotion that sometimes brings tears to my eyes.  I realize that no matter how dark and how hopeless something seems there is always a brighter, happier time to come.  Mornings are a new start, a new day.   You go to bed sometimes so broken, feeling like the world is so heavy on your shoulders especially the last few years.  You see so much ugliness around you from people you always thought were nice and gentle.  This war between two parties, something that should have stayed in the "house' or senate has invaded your life, your friendships.  Some of these people I just can't look at the same anymore.  I grew up in the 60s and 70s.  I saw rebellion at it's best.  I saw protests fighting against war, against Viet Nam.  I participated in sit-ins and sit-outs.  Yet, having lived through all of that I never felt hate like I have the last few years.  Where did it come from?  

Morning is here and bustling with energy so it's time for me to get my day started.  Another cup of coffee while I make breakfast and decide what my day will be. 

Until next time, be safe, be healthy and be happy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment