Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Mini Vacation - 2016

Last summer when Rachel and Phoenix came to visit we went to Oklahoma City for a few days to visit the Science Museum and the Zoo and just bum around Oklahoma City a bit.  Of course it was in the summer and it was over 100 degrees the day we went to the zoo so our trip there didn't last more than a couple of hours and then a quick walk over to the Science Museum where we spent the rest of the day in wonderful cool air conditioning!  I took a few pictures at our hotel and then a few at the museum but it was just too hot and miserable at the zoo.  Once we were in the museum we became so involved the longer we were in there I forgot all about the camera. We're a family of geeks, what can I say!

We stayed at the Ambassador Hotel downtown so we were within walking distance to lots of restaurants and wonderful things to view.  We found the most amazing Waffle place and wanted to try it for breakfast one morning but the lines were long just to get in there that we gave up and just drove over to IHOP.  I'm pretty sure that we ordered and ate and parked and would have still be waiting in line.  That line was still forever, it went all the way down the sidewalk about half a block and consistently stayed that way in the mornings.  Those waffles must be heavenly!
This is Ambassador Hotel.  It doesn't look all that impressive on the outside but it was really nice on the inside.  We wanted to stay somewhere historical and we did.  The rooms were on the small side but remember it is historical so they would be, the staff was exceptional.  We could not have asked for a most pleasant stay.  The rooms were listed on the website as Double Queen rooms, now to me that means two beds in a room it wasn't until we got there than we found out they meant a double size queen bed.  So poor Phoenix had to have an airbed brought up for him. But we did make do and I decided not to book online without asking questions first.


The bathroom vanity was outside of the bathroom.  That was convenient for me because I could put on make-up and do my hair while Gary took a shower and it didn't make my hair all frizzy.  I have naturally curly hair that I use a straight iron on to make it straight so rain or humidity is a fear of mine LOL.  

Rob & Gary relaxing while I unpacked.  Rachel & Phoenix were unpacking in their room.  
Phoenix & Rachel back for a visit.  We're all unpacked and ready to go eat.  Tonight we decided to roam the area on foot and see what's out there.  I believe we ended up eating hamburgers.  
Louie's in Jenks, OK is one of our favorite hangouts.  We can usually be found there a few Friday nights a month.  We were surprised to see it in Oklahoma City while we were looking for a place to eat so I shot a picture of it.
We had so much fun just going for room to room and playing with everything.  I love this museum.

I don't remember what was unique about this clock but it definitely had everyone's interest.

Rachel, Phoenix & Rob and I can't remember what they are in front of. Every room was amazing and the fun thing about the Science Museum is most of it is interactive.

This is my absolutely favorite picture of the trip.  This was taken in the Leonardo da Vinci exhibit.  Oh my gosh this is where my geek kicked in! It had models of his flying machines, a lot of sketches of his famous works and a whole room of the study of the Mona Lisa.  I think all of us could have spent the whole day here.   

No comments:

Post a Comment