Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Our Family Artist

My daughter has always been an exceptional artist.  She was born in 1979 during our poor struggling college/hippy days.  When she was a toddler we moved to an apartment that had paneled walls. That was very 70s but she was terrified of the walls because everywhere there was a knot in the wood she thought it was an eye and they were all watching her.  She had quite an imagination.  We had a friend that worked at the local newspaper and they would just toss the end rolls of paper they used to print the newspaper so instead of tossing it the friend would bring the rolls to us and we lined our walls with this paper. She was allowed then to draw on the walls and anytime friends came to visit they would draw with her on the walls so our walls had all kinds of drawings on them.  She loved it and it covered the eyes so we were able to sleep at night.  We did go through several boxes of crayons though.  I have several of her drawings from High School and have been framing them and hanging them over the years.  I decided to share a couple with you tonight.  Two of my favorites.  Both of these hang in my living room.  As I get frames made and get others hung I'll share them.  I probably have 2 or 3 dozen. 

This one hangs behind our couch and is done in pastels.  I love this one.  I had to take it at an angle so the flash wouldn't show in the picture. Rachel did this one in 10th grade.  

This one touches my very soul because I know it's a self portrait.  We all remember the emotional teenage years but as a mother its hard to see the pain in this picture and not want to cry.  It's such a beautiful piece though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment