Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Back to Basics

It's been years since I brought out my sewing machine.  A friend of mine linked me to a sewing Facebook group and of course that's gotten me back into the mood.  I, being the kind of person that I am, have now linked my daughter to that group.  She's actually been actively sewing for the last few years making costumes for my grandson for various things, Latin Club, Anime Conventions, etc.  She's extremely talented, but she just made her very first dress for herself.  She did an awesome job.  So, although I cleaned out my closets while she was here and sent her back with two huge tubs of fabric, I now have decided I do want to sew again.  I have begun to order fabric on line, I went to Joann's and picked up fabric there and all of a sudden I have replaced more than I gave away.  I have bought all these patterns and I'm ready to start all these projects.

I know I posted about Gary's brain surgery back in February.  Once we got him back on his feet and back to work I came down with Shingles around the end of March.  I was still trying to recover my energy when daughter and grandson (Rachel & Phoenix) came to visit in June.  It has been a heck of a year so far but now we're both better and we can enjoy the rest of the year.  We are planning a road trip out to Phoenix, Arizona the first week of August for a follow-up for Gary's surgery and we'll take a little vacation while we're there.  We have a nice little condo rented across from the Papago Park to stay in and we can enjoy the trails early in the morning and a glass of wine late in the evening out on the deck.

I'm going to try to make myself a couple of dresses before we go, lol, we'll see if I have time to get them done.  Life has a way of getting busy here before vacations.  It's been in the 100s here lately so I haven't been able to get out and walk lately.  I've tried but it's only been a little over 2 miles a day or 5,000 steps.  It's been way too hot and the humidity so high the air so thick you could cut it with a knife.

We enjoyed having the kids with us so much!  I had Rachel a pecan pie made the first day when she arrived, her favorite!  I know that's something she never makes for herself.  She always loved her grandma's pecan pie.  Phoenix was interested in some of the old dessert recipes that his mother remembered from her childhood that I hadn't cooked in years so we made some of those while he was here.  We made homemade cream puffs and baked fudge.  He took a copy of the recipes back home with him.  Those are recipes that I'll post on here at a later date.  The cream puffs are one of my brother Greg's favorites.  My mom used to make them for him so we made those the night before we ran down to Poteau so we could take him a tray of them.  The baked fudge is really just chocolate custard.  A lady that owned a sweet little cafe that served the best homemade lunches used to serve it when Rachel was young and she gave me her recipe.  I used to love that cafe.  It was in an old two story house in Sapulpa, OK.  I don't remember what it was called.  She only served lunch though, opened 11-2pm.  She had the best lunches!

Well, that's all for now.  Have a nice evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment